Almora, another famous slope station of Uttarakhand is known as the social capital of Kumaon. This town is arranged on a 5 km mountain go arranged at a height of 1,650 m and from a separation its shape takes after a steed shoe. Almora was not found and created by the British, rather it was the seat of energy of the Chand Dynasty who controlled the place that is known for Kumaon for very nearly a thousand years.
The town has kept up its old traditions and customs that are obvious in the way houses and streets have been manufactured.
The old strongholds, the authentic landmarks and the imperial courts still exist fit as a fiddle. The Kaushiki (Koshi) and Shalmali (Suyal) Rivers encompass the town, ignored by the snows of the Himalayas. An absolute necessity purchase are the nearby Kumaoni desserts called Bal Mithai and Singauri.
The antiquated town of Almora, before its foundation, was under the ownership of Katyuri lord Baichaldeo. He gave the significant piece of this land to a Gujrati Brahmin Sri Chand Tiwari. Later on when Chand kingdom was established in Baramandal, the town of Almora was established at this midway found place in 1568 by Kalyan Chand. In the times of the Chand Kings it was called Rajapur. The name ‘Rajpur’ is additionally said on various old copper plates.
Almora town was the authoritative headquarter of the Kumaun area; that was shaped in 1815 after the thrashing of Gorkha armed force in the Anglo-Gorkha war and the 1816 Treaty of Sugauli. The Kumaun locale at that point comprised of the entire Kumaon Division barring the Terai region with its home office at Kashipur. In 1837, Garhwal was made a different area with its Headquarters at Pauri. The Nainital locale was cut out of the Kumaun District in 1891, and the Kumaon District was then renamed Almora District after its Headquarter.
In the 1960s Bageshwar area, Pithoragarh region and Champawat locale had not yet been shaped and were a piece of Almora region. Pithoragarh region was cut out of Almora on 24 February 1960 and Bageshwar locale on 15 September 1997. In 2011, Ranikhet District was proposed to be cut out of the Almora locale
- 7.6 km²
- 1642 m
- 35,513 (2011)
- Hindi, English, Kumaoni
- Both (Veg+Non veg)